Innovations for wind ship propulsion, online conference
The latest scientific and technological research in the field of sailing will be presented on the international conference INNOV’SAIL 2020 in June. Chalmers University of Technology hosts the conference and SSPA is one of the co-organizers. Sailing shall not only be associated with racing and recreation. Sailing in commercial shipping is on its way back. SSPA is conducting extensive research and are contributing with the latest findings and will present several papers.
30 papers are planned to be presented by experts and researchers during this three-days event on 15-17 June. The conference will be completely online, due to the travel restrictions caused by the Coronavirus. Researchers from SSPA, together with our research partners, will present six interesting papers:
- Developing fluid structure interaction experimental methodologies for dynamic foil measurements, written by Laura Marimon Giovannetti from SPPA and O. Charalampopoulos, J. Banks, S. W. Boyd and S. R. Turnock from the University of Southampton.
- Three-dimensional shape optimisation of the Nacra 17 main foil, written by Laura Marimon Giovannetti from SPPA and P. Guida, S. W. Boyd from University of Southampton.
- An improved procedure for strongly coupled prediction of sailing yacht performance, written by Adam Persson, Christian Finnsgård from SSPA and Lars Larsson from Chalmers.
- Comparison of two rapid numerical methods for redirecting the performance of multiple rigid wing-sails, written by Karolina Malmek, Sofia Werner, Christian Finnsgård from SSPA, Ulysse Dhomé from KTH and Lars Larsson, Jonas Ringsberg from Chalmers.
- Appendages investigation and their effects on maneuvering coefficients for applications in wind assisted ships, written by Laura Marimon Giovannetti, Martin Alexandersson, Fredrik Olsson and Sofia Werner from SPPA.
- A performance depowering investigation for wind powered cargo ships along a route, written by Fredrik Olsson, Laura Marimon Giovannetti, Sofia Werner and Christian Finnsgård from SSPA.
- “This international conference is a great opportunity for us to exchange the latest research results and discuss with other experts and also to transfer knowledge between the advanced racing projects to commercial shipping research projects”, says PhD Sofia Werner, Manager Strategic Research Hydrodynamics at SSPA.
About the conference INNOV’SAIL 2020
The latest scientific and technological research in the field of sailing will be presented on the international conference INNOV’SAIL 2020 in June. Organisers: Chalmers University of Technology, Ecole Navale, Cité de la Voile Eric Tabarly, Lighthouse, SSPA Sweden, International Windship Association, RISE, Bretagne Development and Innovation and Enterprise Europe Network. Illustration: Rickard Bensow, Chalmers.